Jumat, 03 April 2009

MTV News

MTV News

Run-DMC, Metallica Lead Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Inductees

Posted: 03 Apr 2009 03:51 AM PDT

Eminem will induct Run-DMC at ceremony on Saturday in Cleveland
By Gil Kaufman


Run-DMC
Photo: Michael Ochs Archives/ Getty Images

In years past, there were always a few things you could count on at the annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony: some salty induction speeches (like Madonna's last year), bands awkwardly reuniting with members past and trying to make nice but not performing together (as Van Halen did when they were inducted) and others who gladly performed but refused to make nice (as when Blondie were inducted into the Hall in 2006).

This year's ceremony — which takes place on Saturday night near the actual Rock Hall in Cleveland for the first time in more than a decade — promises a little bit of all three scenarios as the Hall welcomes such icons as Metallica, Run-DMC and Jeff Beck.

The likeliest suspects for onstage tension, hard-rock icons Metallica, have already said they're not interested in any drama, as evidenced by their decision to invite ousted bassist Jason Newsted to perform with them alongside current bassist Robert Trujillo. Frontman James Hetfield has promised that instead of tension, the group will make the night a celebration of their long career.

Formed in Los Angeles in 1981, Metallica rose from humble beginnings to become one of the biggest and most influential heavy-metal bands on the planet. Their 1983 debut, Kill 'Em All, is widely considered one of the first thrash-metal albums, thanks to its blitzkrieg riffs and breakneck tempo. Their subsequent albums — 1984's Ride the Lightning, 1986's Master of Puppets and 1988's ... And Justice for All — saw the band expanding not just their sound, but their audience. Their self-titled 1991 album (also known as The Black Album for its iconic onyx cover) made them one of the biggest bands in the world, with a long run at #1 on the Billboard albums chart, selling a staggering 22 million copies worldwide. Last year, they released the return-to-form Death Magnetic, which also debuted atop the Billboard charts and was one of 2008's biggest-selling albums.

Though they no longer perform together and are rarely seen in the same room, founding Run-DMC members Joseph "Rev Run" Simmons and Darryl "DMC" McDaniels will take the stage Saturday night after being inducted by none other than Eminem in one of his first major public appearances in several years.

As only the second induction of a hip-hop group to enter the hall, the inclusion of the Queens, New York trio — DJ Jason "Jam Master Jay" Mizell was murdered in a still-unsolved 2002 ambush — is ironic, given that Run-DMC's 1985 video for "King of Rock" shows them wreaking havoc in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, nine years before the actual museum opened.

The trio famously formed in Hollis, Queens, in the early '80s and released their debut single, "It's Like That," in 1983. Their first three albums (1984's self-titled debut, 1985's King of Rock and 1986's Raising Hell) are considered to be among the most important hip-hop albums ever released. With their stylish dress, sample-heavy tracks and streetwise lingo, the group is often credited with bringing hip-hop to the mainstream. They gave the genre credibility when they teamed up with Aerosmith for the hit "Walk This Way," were the first rap group to be featured on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine and were one of the first hip-hop acts to have videos in constant rotation on MTV.

Run-DMC disbanded in 2002 following Mizell's murder, but in 2007, MTV's Hip-Hop Brain Trust named them the Greatest Hip-Hop Group of All Time.

The roster of inductees also includes guitar legend Jeff Beck, 64, the laconic Englishman who is one of the rare breed of rock legends to make it into the Hall as a solo artist and a bandleader — honored in 1992 for his work with the Yardbirds, in which he succeeded fellow Hall of Famer Eric Clapton.

Beck — known for his dynamic playing, intricate rock instrumentals and later excursions into jazz rock and jazz fusion — is perhaps best known for his work with the blues rock godheads the Yardbirds, who produced such landmark singles as "Heart Full of Soul" and "I'm a Man," during his tenure. He also led the Jeff Beck Group, whose first incarnation featured Rod Stewart on vocals and later Rolling Stones member Ron Wood.

Among other honorees are early doo-wop vocal group Little Anthony & the Imperials, led by powerful vocalist Anthony Gourdine, 69, who is heard on such indelible hits as "Tears on My Pillow" and such later pop-soul hits as "Goin' out of My Head."

The Hall will also welcome the Queen of Rockabilly, Wanda Jackson, 71, who blazed a trail for female rock singers with her raw, uninhibited work on such early hits as "Let's Have a Party" and "Right or Wrong." Rounding out the performers list is soul/gospel powerhouse and Cleveland native, Bobby Womack, 65, who began his career playing guitar in Sam Cooke's band and went on to a long career as a session guitarist (Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles), songwriter (Wilson Pickett, Janis Joplin) and solo star in the 1970s with such gospel-tinged soul hits as "Woman's Gotta Have It" and "If You Think You're Lonely Now."

Also entering the Hall in the sidemen category is Bill Black, the late bassist for Elvis Presley who was present at the recording of the King's first single for Sun Records in July 1954 and who is credited with helping to come up with the rocked-up arrangement for Presley's signature early single, "That's All Right." Joining Black in that category is Elvis' legendary drummer, D.J. Fontana, 78, considered the first rockabilly drummer and best known for his laid-back, no frills style.

The sidemen category will also welcome Muscle Shoals Sound progenitor keyboardist/vocalist Spooner Oldham, 65, who has played on such landmark tracks as Percy Sledge's "When a Man Loves a Woman" and Aretha Franklin's "I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)," as well as sessions with everyone from Bob Dylan and Neil Young to Cat Power and the Drive-By Truckers.

Among the scheduled presenters at the ceremony in the Public Auditorium in Cleveland are Jimmy Page, the Rolling Stones' Ron Wood, Flea (who will induct Metallica) and Smokey Robinson.

Artists are eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record, and inductees are selected by a panel of 500 "rock experts" who evaluate each candidate.

Related Videos Related Artists

Pussycat Dolls Put A New Twist On <i>Doll Domination</i> With Re-Release

Posted: 03 Apr 2009 04:50 AM PDT

'The train is moving, so you got to jump on it,' Nicole Scherzinger says of new tracks for Doll Domination 2.0.
By Jocelyn Vena


Pussycat Dolls
Photo: ANDREJ ISAKOVIC/AFP/Getty Images

The Pussycat Dolls are ready to dominate the pop world again when they re-release their Doll Domination. Doll Domination 2.0 will have album favorites like "When I Grow Up" and "Bottle Pop," but it will also include a few new tracks.

"We've got the new single 'Jai Ho,' " Nicole Scherzinger told MTV News about the album reboot, which features the group's version of the "Slumdog Millionaire" song. "We're really blessed. The train is moving, so you got to jump on it."

The re-release features "Jai Ho" and the new song "Painted Windows," as well as "Top of the World," the theme song from "The City." "We have a song 'Hush Hush' that we remixed [from the original Doll Domination] that we added with 'I Will Survive' remixed into it," Scherzinger said. "I think the fans are going to love 'Hush Hush,' because it was a ballad and now it's a dance remix."

The girls are on the road with Britney Spears on her Circus tour, and Nicole loves performing two songs in particular. "I love it when we perform 'I Hate This Part' and 'Jai Ho.' Even though 'I Hate This Part' is a new single, people sing along, and it means so much to me, because that song [means so much to me]. 'Jai Ho' is so spiritual and uplifting, and for people to accept it and it comes from a special place, I really love that."

Nicole is really excited to also take Doll Domination 2.0 on the road when the girls head back on their own tour post-Circus. Scherzinger loves sharing the PCD experience with fans, because she thinks they have something no one else does. "PCD is edgy, and there's something new and there's history behind it," Nicole said. It's unlike any other female pop group."

Related Artists

Run-DMC Will Not Perform At Rock Hall Induction, DMC Confirms

Posted: 03 Apr 2009 04:50 AM PDT

Rapper can't imagine hitting the stage without late DJ Jam Master Jay.
By Jayson Rodriguez


Run-DMC
Photo: Michael Ochs Archives/ Getty Images

Run-DMC are set to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this weekend, and one-third of the legendary group confirmed to MTV News that they will not perform (as is customary during the ceremony) but instead a video tribute will play to mark the occasion.

Rev Run previously spoke to MTV News in January following the Queens collective receiving word of their honor. The "Run's House" star said the decision about whether the group would perform would be left to DMC. After the murder of their DJ, Jam Master Jay, the remaining group members made the decision to never perform again as Run-DMC, out of respect for their fallen friend.

"For me, I tell people, 'Do you want to see me and Run running around without Jay?' " DMC told MTV News earlier this week. "They tell me I could get Grandmaster Flash [to fill in]. But I can get any DJ in the world if I want. It wouldn't be right. I can't replace my drummer."

D said the Rock Hall will produce a video tribute to the group, although he didn't have a hand in the segment. He's been busy worrying about what he'll say when he reaches the podium. He joked that the representatives for the event "scared" him with their advice for his speech.

"They said, 'You have all the time in the world. We don't want you to be too long, but we don't want you to be too short,' " he said, laughing. "Then they said, 'You should write something.' I said I wasn't gonna write something; I was gonna freestyle it. But then they scared me again with [clears voice], 'Make sure you get it right, because you only get to do this once.' "

DMC -- who, following the group's retirement, has ventured into a more rock-based sound -- said he's honored to be entering the Hall with Metallica and Bobby Womack. He called himself a fan of the former and said the latter was a "super superstar."

"For me, personally, I just love what gods are gonna be in the room," DMC said. "I'm a rock-and-roll fan, from Led Zeppelin to Bob Dylan to Jimi Hendrix.

"And Metallica? Oh my God," he continued. "I grew up as a kid looking up to Bobby Womack. Do you know how big he was? He was so far from me as a super superstar, because my mother and father followed him. That's crazy. Now I'm thinking about it, and it's just crazy."

Fellow Queens native and longtime peer LL Cool J agreed. He said the upcoming Run-DMC induction makes him "incredibly proud," as he recalled how the trio took him under their wing during his first tour experience. Stepping back as a fan, LL admitted, he'd like to see the fellas perform to celebrate the honor. But he respects the decision they've made.

"When I think about them performing -- and I would never encourage them to do something that they wouldn't do -- but I really wish they would consider getting video footage of Jay cutting and figure out a way to sync that up so that they could perform to it," LL told MTV News. "Kind of like the way Natalie Cole did it with her father. I really wish they would consider that. If I was Run, I would. I think it would be epic. That would be big."

Despite a Run-DMC performance missing from the itinerary, Run's older brother and group patriarch Russell Simmons said the trio's legacy will stand on its own. He said Run-DMC ushered in the era of rappers becoming actual recording artists. Prior to second-wave groups like Run-DMC, Simmons cited acts like the Cold Crush Brothers, DJ Hollywood and Eddie Cheeba as performing artists who largely composed numbers to hit the stage. Run-DMC, he said, were influenced by those groups, and it registered in their songs, which were incredibly authentic. Simmons, who built Def Jam into the most iconic rap label in history, said it was Run-DMC's authenticity that ultimately will be the indicator of their legacy and influence.

"They may have looked like the Blues Brothers to rock-and-roll guys, but that was some real Brooklyn sh-- right there [the way they dressed and presented themselves]," Simmons explained. "That's some Hollis, Queens, stuff. They were paying homage to where the music was coming from [the streets]. They drew the line in the sand. They weren't crossing over; they made people come to them. And with that, they really inspired the whole community. They did a lot to contribute to the sentiment of authenticity, which ultimately became the earmark of the culture as a whole."

Related Videos Related Artists

'American Idol' Castoff Megan Joy: 'I Got No Beef With Simon'

Posted: 01 Apr 2009 11:33 PM PDT

'As sad as I am that I'm leaving ... there is a very big part of me that cannot wait to see my son,' she says.
By Katie Byrne


Megan Joy performs on "Idol" on Wednesday
Photo: F Micelotta/American Idol 2009/Getty Images

There's something about Megan Joy. Her voice, dance moves and bird noises definitely set her apart from the "American Idol" pack — or flock.

But Simon Cowell, her onetime number-one fan, lost interest in the wild-card contestant along the way, refusing to even consider saving her Wednesday night when she was voted off after her performance of Bob Marley's "Turn Your Lights Down Low."

We caught up with the 22-year-old from Sandy, Utah, to discuss talking back to Simon, whether she'll get an "Idol" tattoo and more.

Q: Since it was the deciding factor in whether the judges saved you, do you regret telling Simon that you didn't care about his critique?

A: No regrets ever. I wouldn't take anything back. I was happy to go the way I did. ... I just was honest. I cared about the competition. I didn't want people to misunderstand me not caring — I just didn't care that Simon didn't like my song. I couldn't help but be honest.

Q: Simon was one of your biggest cheerleaders early on, but then he became your harshest critic. Do you think he turned on you a bit?

A: I think his opinion of me changed a little bit, and he was pretty hard on me. I think that he likes me, maybe just as much as he did but maybe just not for the competition. I got no beef with Simon, and I don't think he has any with me.

Q: Were you at all relieved to be voted off?

A: As sad as I am that I'm leaving and I'm done with this show, there is a very big part of me that cannot wait to see my son. It's been too long. I'm ready to hold him in my arms again. Part of me is ready.

Q: What was behind your wing flapping and cawing during the results show?

A: I love birds and bird noises, and I just decided that if I'm going out, I'm going out with a bang, and I'm just going to be myself. I flew the whole time!

Q: What did you learn from your "Idol" experience?

A: There's always gonna be negative people or haters, if you will, trying to bring you down, but you just gotta forget about 'em and move past it, always.

Q: During your initial audition, you seemed surprised that they put you through, and then you made it all the way to the finals. Did you ever think, "Maybe I could win this thing"?

A: I have always just kept the mentality of "Whatever's supposed to happen will happen." I never put any expectations on myself. I wanted to make the tour, but that was my only goal. I was just excited and wanted to enjoy the ride. Whatever happened, happened. No expectations.

Q: You mentioned on your AmericanIdol.com bio that you would love to be on Nick Jr.'s "Yo Gabba Gabba!" Why that show?

A: The second the show came out, I fell in love with it. It is just pure genius. If I could be on it, I would do anything. I'd do "Cool Tricks" or "The Super Music Friend Show." I'd do anything. I'd do the "Dancey Dance." Anything they want me to do, I would do it. I think they're brilliant.

Q: Are you planning to get a tattoo to commemorate your time on "Idol"?

A: I definitely am. I've had a lucky ring that I've worn the entire time, and I'm going to have that tattooed on my ribs.

Get your "Idol" fix on MTV News' "American Idol" page, where you'll find all the latest news, interviews and opinions.

Related Videos Related Photos

'Hills' Star Heidi Montag Is 'Not Sure' If She'll Marry Spencer Pratt

Posted: 01 Apr 2009 10:53 PM PDT

'We were on the track to getting married, and then he threw me for a loop,' she tells MTV News.
By Jocelyn Vena


Heidi Montag
Photo: Jason LaVeris/ Getty Images

Last season, Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt eloped in Mexico. When they came back to "The Hills," there was a lot of drama about the nuptials from Heidi and Spencer's family and friends. Eventually, Spencer wanted to make it official in the U.S., but Heidi wanted a real wedding and not a courtroom wedding with just the two of them.

That means that right now, Heidi and Spencer are still just engaged. And, judging from the promos for the new season of "The Hills," which starts Monday, it doesn't look like it's going to be an easy path for these two, which begs the question: Will they finally make it legit?

"You'll have to watch this upcoming season. We were on the track to getting married, and then he threw me for a loop," Heidi told MTV News about any upcoming wedding plans. "I'm not sure where we stand on all that, to be honest. That's a really big problem for us. We have to figure where we're going."

In the promos, we see Spencer flirting with a bartender, and Heidi insists that the only person verging on being unfaithful in their relationship is Spencer. "Heidi is not a sl-- like that," she joked. "He's the ho, not me."

Heidi is also not the one who wants all the drama in the relationship. She describes herself as "very normal." "I am relaxed; he is just something else completely," she said. "I don't even have time for drama. I'm so busy in the studio that I can't really do that in a relationship. He's the drama queen."

Related Photos

Nicole Scherzinger Would Be 'Afraid' Of A Britney Spears Dance-Off

Posted: 02 Apr 2009 12:00 AM PDT

'She can throw down,' the Pussycat Dolls frontwoman says of her tourmate.
By Jocelyn Vena


Pussycat Dolls' Nicole Scherzinger
Photo: Bruce Glikas/FilmMagic

Since March, the Pussycat Dolls have been busy supporting Britney Spears on her Circus tour. Before that, the Dolls had been traveling the world on their own tour, and the ladies wouldn't want it any other way.

"It's been nonstop," Nicole Scherzinger told MTV News. "We were on our Doll Domination Tour all throughout Europe, and now we're on Britney's tour, and after this, we're going to go back on our Doll Domination Tour."

So how do they handle the group's never-ending tour schedule? "It's the PCD gods and angels around us," Scherzinger said.

Nicole could only use one word to describe the hectic atmosphere of touring with someone like Britney: "It's really a circus. It's crazy. I think the tour's been really good for us doing what we do best: singing and dancing. A lot of people have told us the fans' ultimate wish is to have Britney Spears and PCD on tour."

The hectic schedule also means that the Dolls haven't been able to get any time to chill out with Britney. "This is her tour, and I'm sure she's busy, and I'm always doing press right before we get onstage," she said. "We haven't had too much interaction, but we're always planning stuff."

Perhaps the girls will all be able to meet up onstage at some point during the tour. "That would be super fun," she said. "We did that when we were [on tour] with Christina [Aguilera]."

Nicole also hopes that touring with a pop staple like Britney will attract a new fanbase to the Dolls. "Britney's been around so much longer and been around people who might not know us," she said.

For Brit's Circus, the girls decided to do a mini-version of their Doll Domination show. "We kept our same original look. We kept it PCD-style," she said. "We were on tour already, and we picked one outfit from the costume changes. We wanted it to be colorful and fun and sparkly and things that the kids could relate to."

If the ladies ever find time in their schedules, maybe they could squeeze in a Britney-vs.-Dolls dance-off. "I would be afraid. She can throw down. She's got some moves," Nicole said. "If we had a dance-off, maybe it would be more of a collaboration dance or maybe one of the other girls can do it; I'll just stand and watch. She's a great dancer and a great performer."

Related Artists

Shanna Moakler Lashes Out At Travis Barker In Blog

Posted: 02 Apr 2009 09:53 AM PDT

Drummer's ex said he received romantic e-mails while she helped him recover from plane crash.
By Cara Alwill


Shanna Moakler
Photo: Jill Ann Spaulding/FilmMagic

The drama continues with Travis Barker and Shanna Moakler. MTV News reported Wednesday that the divorced couple had split, yet again, after reconciling last year during Barker's recovery from the plane crash that left him in intensive care. According to a source, the recent split came after the Blink-182 drummer confronted Shanna about an alleged affair with actor Gerard Butler.

In a rant on her MySpace blog posted Thursday (April 2), Moakler lashed out against Barker for claiming she had the affair, and even turned the tables, claiming he received e-mails from other women while she was helping him recover.

"I came across numerous romantic e-mails with MANY other woman — some famous, some I personally knew — all heartbreaking," wrote the former Playboy playmate, who has two children with Barker.

Moakler went on to document the details of the time when Barker was hospitalized and pointed fingers at not only Barker, but the women who corresponded with him. "The woman involved, you know who you are and should be ashamed of yourself," she wrote. But what hurts the most, Moakler said, are the "e-mails where employees of my ex were writing comments on gossip networks like TMZ and Perez Hilton, attacking me as a woman and a mother. I think those were more painful than the infidelities."

After a very public relationship and multiple breakups and makeups, Moakler wrote that she can't just leave this one alone. " 'No Comment' just wasn't sufficient this time when people continue to lie and distort the truth. The sad part is, the truth really isn't that juicy or newsworthy; it's sad, and I wish it had been left behind closed doors."

Related Artists

Heidi Montag Talks Lauren Conrad's 'Hills' Departure

Posted: 03 Apr 2009 03:51 AM PDT

New season premieres Monday at 10 p.m. on MTV.
By Jocelyn Vena


Heidi Montag
Photo: MTV

When "The Hills" premieres on Monday, it will be the last season for Lauren Conrad. But according to Lauren's greatest frenemy, Heidi Montag, it's all a new beginning for the show. In fact, Heidi said, "This is going to be the best season ever," and doesn't seem to mind that Lauren won't be coming back after it.

" 'The Hills' hasn't even really begun, yet I think this is just the beginning," she told MTV News about Lauren's grand finale, adding, "We don't need her. We'll miss her. I just don't know if we need her."

Montag — who also spoke with us about her forthcoming album and her uncertainty about whether she'll marry Spencer Pratt — said she wasn't surprised by Lauren's choice to leave the show, and even though the two are attempting to make amends and text-message regularly, she thinks that it's for the best that Conrad is moving on.

"I'm not surprised she's leaving. I know she hasn't been wanting to be do this for a while, and [the life she really leads] is not on camera. So I think it's a closing chapter for her. I'm sure she'll have fun and success," she said, adding, "She's gotta leave the dramas to the pros!"

Now that Lauren has already made the decision to leave the show behind, what happens next on "The Hills" is an open question — but Montag definitely wants to be around for it. "I love 'The Hills' and I definitely don't want to go anywhere anytime soon. That's my home and I'm so grateful to be on it, so we'll see."

The new season of "The Hills" premieres Monday at 10 p.m. on MTV.

Eminem Video Throwback: 'Lose Yourself,' 2002

Posted: 02 Apr 2009 02:37 AM PDT

In anticipation of Em's 'We Made You' clip, we're looking back at his most memorable videos.
By Jayson Rodriguez


Eminem in the "Lose Yourself" video
Photo: Interscope

As much of an impact as Eminem has made in his career — from bringing authenticity to melanin-deprived MCs to selling tons of records to introducing 50 Cent to a mainstream audience — one indisputable contribution the Shady one has provided is his zeal for crafting music videos.

Now, as Em polishes up his forthcoming clip for "We Made You," set to debut Tuesday, MTV News is talking a look back — one by one — at the Detroit rapper's most memorable videos.

In 2002, he released "Lose Yourself." The video is closely associated with the movie "8 Mile," both of which were filmed in Eminem's old Detroit neighborhood. The video is largely a performance clip interspersed with scenes from the film and some original scripted moments with daughter Hailie Jade and his crew, D-12.

In an interview with MTV News in 2002 on the "Lose Yourself" set, Em explained his desire to make the movie and video an accurate portrayal of his hometown.

"There's some things that were taken out of my real life story," he said of the production. "Some things that I didn't even discuss on record. I've had a lot of stuff happen in my life that not everyone knows about. I can't tell everything in my music. So there are some instances that are taken out of my life and there are some that are completely fictional and just made up. 'Cause I'm not playing me in the movie, but I'm playing someone like me. He's gotta be like me. He comes from this area, he grew up on 8 Mile. Both sides of the fences. He's seen everything, he's lived everything.

Heading into the release of the film, there was some buzz that the rapper might be nominated for an Oscar for his performance. But he downplayed the hype and repeated his desire to be true to his roots — although he couldn't help but take a dig at Steely Dan, the group that beat him out for an Album of the Year Grammy.

"I'm not looking for Oscar buzz," Em said with a smile. "It could or couldn't. Steely Dan beat me out one year for a Grammy. So, you know? Anyway. Whatever comes with it, I'll take. But I'm not looking for that. I was looking to make an authentic movie about the place I grew up. Not necessarily about me, but the authenticity and significance. I think every city has its own 8 Mile Road or places like it."

The blue-collar clip matched Detroit's gritty appeal. The song won a 2003 VMA for Best Video From a Film and has been likened to the hip-hop version of the "Rocky" song "Eye of the Tiger." In the same way the Sylvester Stallone film became a symbol for Philadelphia, "Lose Yourself" has come to define the spirit of the D.

Eminem certainly accomplished his goal.

"I wanted to blow up Detroit, that's what I wanted to do," he said. "If I ain't done it by now, goddamnit, let me leave."

Related Videos Related Artists

Lil Wayne's Reported Lawsuit Against DJ Drama Clarified

Posted: 02 Apr 2009 03:53 AM PDT

Cash Money Records lawyer provides details.
By Jayson Rodriguez, with additional reporting by Shaheem Reid


Lil Wayne
Photo: Alexander Tamargo/ Getty Images

An e-mail blast sent to members of the media and music-industry insiders on Thursday (April 2) by Makin Moves Entertainment revealed court documents were filed in New York District Court summoning the company, as well as DJ Drama, to answer to charges of selling Lil Wayne's music illegally. According to the documents, the lawsuit was filed February 18 of this year.

The information was surprising to many, considering Wayne and Drama collaborated recently on Dedication 3, the third installment of their popular mixtape series that helped catapult the rapper to superstar status.

Candace Carponter, an attorney representing Cash Money Records, confirmed to MTV News the authenticity of the documents. Carponter clarified that the lawsuit — stemming from an ongoing case against BCD Music Group, an independent distribution company based in Texas — has not been pushed by Lil Wayne directly, but by his recording home. Lil Wayne created a rift with many mixtape DJs last year when he lashed out at them during the release of his most recent album, Tha Carter III. The rapper levied claims against a number of DJs who he felt were profiting illegally off of his work. He later cleared up his remarks on DJ Drama's radio show, of all places, singling out the Empire, the DJ who had released a number of Da Drought Is Over mixtapes featuring Wayne.

During the initial legal proceedings, Carponter explained BCD provided the court with documents that allege the company signed contracts with Drama and Makin Moves Entertaintment for rights to sell projects that included DJ Drama's Wayne collaboration Dedication 2.

Carponter acknowledged the initial collaboration of putting together the mixtapes was done with consent, however, selling the projects in retail outlets with Lil Wayne's image and likeness was an illegal act. The parties, she also noted, did not have rights to strike deals with Wayne's music.

In an e-mail message to MTV News, Drama stated, "The accusations against me are misplaced."

"This is not a case of Lil Wayne vs. DJ Drama. Me and Wayne are good," the DJ wrote. "I am confident that this matter will be resolved quickly without harming the relationships between myself, Wayne and Cash Money Records. However, due to the ongoing nature of this litigation I do not wish to make any further comments."

According to Carponter, the summons were sent within the past two weeks to the parties, which court documents list as BDC Music Group, Inc; Deep Distribution World Wide, Inc; Tyree C. Simmons; Cinque Productions, Inc; Apphilliates Music Group; Makin Moves Entertainment; and Frank Nino.

"BCD claimed the right to sell the music," Carponter said, noting the contracts the company said it signed with the parties, including Drama. "So we named them in complaints and they have 30 days to answer the charges, based on when they receive the papers."

A request for comment from Lil Wayne has not been answered as of press time.

Related Artists