Selasa, 18 November 2008

MTV News

MTV News

50 Cent Says He Delayed <i>Before I Self Destruct</i> So He Could Release More Singles

Posted: 18 Nov 2008 04:56 AM PST

'I'm just looking for the opportunity to present more of my material,' he tells MTV News.
By Shaheem Reid, with additional reporting by Tim Kash and Kim Stolz


50 Cent
Photo: MTV News

NEW YORK — No big conspiracy here: 50 Cent said he decided to delay the release of his Before I Self Destruct album from December 16 until next year because he needed more setup time.

"I'm trying to leave the same way I came in," he said Sunday night during "Total Finale Live." "February 4 [2003], Get Rich or Die Tryin' came out. I drop this album February 3. The time frame. It used to take six to eight weeks for us to position a hip-hop record. Now, it's taking 12 to 14 weeks.

"Just the positioning," he continued. "I'm not comfortable where I'm at right now. My song 'Get Up' is performing great. I'm happy with 'Get Up.' It moved faster than 'I Get Money' at radio. But I'm just looking for the opportunity to present more of my material [prior to the album's release]. It's not the strongest effort on my album; it's just a great start for me."

The video for "Get Up" is out now. Besides paying homage to the Will Smith blockbuster "I Am Legend," Fif also comes full circle with a nod to his own "In Da Club" video. With the release of Before I Self Destruct, he will fulfill his contractual obligation to Shady/Aftermath and Interscope Records for new recordings. A greatest-hits collection will follow if he does not ink a new contract with Interscope.

"We may put out a greatest-hits record then, [when] we start the renegotiations," he said of his talks with Interscope.

Although he's publicly expressed disdain for the way Interscope and its chair, Jimmy Iovine, have handled projects such as Curtis and the G-Unit's T.O.S., Fif did tell us he'll let bygones be bygones for the right price.

"I think all artists have things they can point to that have been done wrong at different points in their career," he said. "It's cool. I'll get over it. They can just pay me."

For everything on "Total Finale Live," including bonus performances, behind-the-scenes action and more, head to TRL.MTV.com. Plus, check out our stage-door interviews with 50 Cent, Taylor Swift, Ludacris and many more superstars at the big show.

Related Artists

New Kanye West Album -- No, Not That One -- Hits The Web

Posted: 17 Nov 2008 03:09 AM PST

Hipster hip-hop DJs remix West's best-known hits for Sky High mixtape.
By Joseph Patel


Kanye West's "Sky High"
Photo: DJ Benzi

People eagerly awaiting the release of Kanye West's newest album, 808s & Heartbreak, due out in two weeks, are being treated to an appetizer before the big meal.

Sky High is a new mixtape that features remixes of various West-produced tracks by hipster hip-hop DJs and producers, compiled by DJ Benzi and Kanye cohort Plain Pat. Sky High started streaming on imeem earlier Monday (November 17) and will be distributed by hip-hop blogs beginning Tuesday night.

The project was commissioned by West and his camp just more than a year ago, said Benzi, who is based in Ann Arbor, Michigan. He said he was given a cappellas and other session tapes — mostly from Late Registration and Graduation — and spent time trying to match different producers and DJs to certain songs. Remixers include former Kanye West touring DJ, A-Trak; New York DJing legend Stretch Armstrong; club-rap producer Diplo; and house-music pioneer Kenny Dope.

Given how much of a perfectionist Kanye is with his own tracks, many of the producers went in a totally different direction, turning many of the tracks into more club-friendly dance tunes. "Each remix had at least five revisions before finally complete, and I'm sure it drove some of the producers insane," Benzi told MTV News. "In the end, I'm psyched about the project. I think we did all of his classics justice."

West has been no stranger to hipster hip-hop culture. He's co-signed Chicago club rapper Kid Sister and, most recently, Cleveland rapper Kid Cudi.

The Sky High track list, according to imeem:

1. "Sky High Introduction"
2. "Good Morning (The Kickdrums Remix)" (featuring Big Sean)
3. "Champion (Nick Catchdubs Remix)"
4. "Barry Bonds (Eli Escobar Remix)" (featuring Lil Wayne)
5. "Crack Musik (Cookin Soul Remix)"
6. "We Major (The Kickdrums Remix)" (featuring Nas)
7. "Get Em High (A-Trak Remix)" (featuring Common)
8. "Throw Some (Cousin Cole Remix)"
9. "Electric Touch (Mighty Mi & Steve1der Remix)" (featuring Lupe Fiasco)
10. "Love Lockdown (Tom Wrecks Remix)"
11. "Flashing Lights (Diplo Remix)"
12. "Addiction (Kenny Dope & Terry Hunter Remix)"
13. "Stronger (A-Trak Remix)"
14. "Workout Plan (Chaise Marcel Remix)"
16. "Impatient Boy (Benzi Refix)" (featuring Will.I.Am)
17. "Homecoming (Discotech Remix)" (featuring Chris Martin)
18. "I Wonder (Scottie B Remix)"
19. "Good Life (Stretch Armstrong Remix)" (featuring T-Pain)
20. "Can't Tell Me Nothing (DJ Godfather Remix)"

Related Artists

Lance Bass Says 'NSYNC, Astronaut Past Don't Give Him An Edge On 'Dancing With The Stars'

Posted: 18 Nov 2008 04:56 AM PST

Bass claims his boy-band dance training was 'more ghetto, and ballroom is more vanilla.'
By Jocelyn Vena, with reporting by Yasmine Richard


Lance Bass
Photo: Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic

Lance Bass cannot believe he is one of the four remaining celebrities in the running to win the seventh season of ABC's "Dancing With the Stars." Sure, he spent a good part of his early career dancing in 'NSYNC, but Bass insists that his previous training didn't give him an advantage on the show.

"I can't believe we're still standing, but everyone is so good this season. These next few weeks are going to be insane," he told MTV News during rehearsals with his partner, "So You Think You Can Dance" alumna Lacey Schwimmer. "These judges are so wishy-washy. ... This season they're really hard-core, but I think it's to bump you to the next level. They're just pushing us to be better.

"My 'NSYNC training has not helped me at all for 'DWTS,' " Bass declared, though he's following in the footsteps of other ex-boy-banders turned accomplished "DWTS" contestants Drew Lachey, Joey McIntyre and Joey Fatone. "With 'NSYNC — I was going to say, 'It's all hip-hop,' [though] it didn't look like hip-hop. I've had a lot of hip-hop training, but with ballroom, it's more posture and lines. ... I'm more ghetto, and ballroom is more vanilla. I've had to learn how to be vanilla."

Bass also did some training to go into space, before his mission failed in 2002. Did any of that come in handy for the dance competition? "I don't know how much it helped me for 'DWTS,' " he said. "The physical training has definitely helped me, 'cause I'm used to all the cardio that we're doing, but we put in crazy hours in the studio."

Of course, Bass has also gotten some help from his 'NSYNC pal Fatone, who competed in the fourth season of "DWTS." "Joey has given me some good advice. I'll take all the advice I can get. I usually don't listen to Joey," he joked, "but in this case, I do. He came in second place, so he's one you listen to."

At the end of the day, though, Bass is continually surprised by the accomplishments he's making as a dancer on the show. And, he's not ashamed to admit it. "I watch on TiVo, and I think, 'Who is that guy?' " he said. "I'm impressed with myself, 'cause for that one moment, I looked damn good."

Related Artists

Good Charlotte Fill Blink-182's Void On Next LP, Tide Fans Over With Remix Album

Posted: 18 Nov 2008 04:56 AM PST

'We had a lot of good will built up,' Joel Madden says of Game, Fall Out Boy's Patrick Stump and more contributing to Greatest Remixes.
By James Montgomery, with reporting by Tim Kash


Benji and Joel Madden
Photo: MTV News

We're probably going to make Joel Madden pretty angry by saying this, but Good Charlotte's new album is gonna sound a whole lot like Blink-182.

"I hate when [people ask about Good Charlotte's new album], and we say it sounds like something, and then there's a news piece about what it sounds like, and it sounds completely different," he told MTV News backstage during Sunday's "Total Finale Live." "But we're trying to fill the void. ... Like, I think there's a need for a new Blink-182 album, and they're not working on an album. I'm a huge Blink-182 fan, but I think in general there's a void there for music like that, and in this moment, we're making a record that kind of answers to that void. We'll see, though."

So there you go. Good Charlotte's follow-up to last year's Good Morning Revival will be the most Blink-y thing since Mark, Tom and Travis called it quits (or, excuse us, "went on indefinite hiatus") in 2005. And if it's going to be a Blink record, well, Madden — who became a new father in January — is making it sound like it will be closest to the band's more serious, self-titled farewell album.

"I think we've matured a little bit, and it definitely changes things. You're more mindful of what you're saying, and the songs somehow become more important, because someone that you really love is going to be listening to them," he said. "I don't know what it's going to mean for our music, but it seems like it's changed a little bit."

Of course, there's a fairly good chance all this will change. So while we can't be 100 percent sure how the new GC album will sound, Madden is more than happy to let fans know how it won't sound.

"There's nothing dance-y on the record, though, at all, which is different from our last one," he said.

Madden did say that he and his band are currently in the studio working on the new album, which is tentatively due in the summer. In the meantime, GC are tiding fans over with the November 25 release of Greatest Remixes, a sort-of "greatest hits" package run through the ringer, featuring remixes by Fall Out Boy's Patrick Stump, Metro Station and Junior Sanchez, to name just a few.

"We had a lot of good will built up. Everybody wanted to do it, and we were very lucky to have all these people involved," Madden said. "We wanted to give our fans something to bridge us into adulthood now, where we're working on a record now and taking our time doing it."

"We've learned over the years that we don't have any enemies, and that kind of came back as a good thing. We've made a lot of friends over the years, and in this business, a lot of things happen because of your friends. And they kind of helped us in this instance," Joel's brother Benji chimed in. "There's a song with Game on the record. We've got two other new tracks that no one's heard: a song called 'Anxiety' and a song called 'War.' It's cool. It's something to tide people over until we get the new album out next year. It's really eclectic. Some of it you'll hear DJs spinning it in the clubs."

Then again, Joel is quick to point out that the remix album is about the furthest thing from a traditional Good Charlotte album (remember, no more dance music), so buyer beware. And remember: There's always that Blink-182 album on the horizon.

"It's not an album we could sell to people. If they want to buy it, buy it," he said. "It's a different kind of record. It sounds nothing like us. ... It doesn't sound like Good Charlotte."

For everything on "Total Finale Live," including bonus performances, behind-the-scenes action and more, head to TRL.MTV.com. Plus, check out our stage-door interviews with 50 Cent, Taylor Swift, Ludacris and many more superstars at the big show.

Related Artists

50 Cent Crashes Diddy's Interview At 'Total Finale Live' -- Watch Them Go At It!

Posted: 17 Nov 2008 09:44 AM PST

The two moguls joke about 50's new MTV show, 'The Money and the Power.'
By Shaheem Reid, with additional reporting by Tim Kash


Diddy, Tim Kash and 50 Cent backstage at "Total Finale Live" on Sunday
Photo: MTV News

NEW YORK — He won't stop, 'cause he can't stop ... not even when 50 Cent is interrupting his interview.

"This is a great time for me to get on the camera!" 50 Cent yelled from a back corridor as Diddy was being interviewed for "Total Finale Live" Sunday night. 50 was welcomed to join the fray.

"Get your hand out my pocket!" the "Making the Band" mogul yelled. "Get your hand out my pocket! I see what you're doing on the channel."

Diddy, of course, was referring to 50's show on MTV, "The Money and the Power."

"I gotta get my weight up," 50 said with a smile.

"I see what you doing, man," Diddy continued, playing.

"I'm trying to get some of your money," 50 responded. "You can't have all of the money."

Then Diddy revealed his big scheme to rake in more viewers.

"I'm gonna tell y'all now," he said, looking into the camera. "On 'I Wanna Work With Diddy,' I'm gonna physically put my hands on somebody for the ratings. [50's] not gonna outdo me! I'm gonna physically ... I'm going to central bookings."

"Number one in the ratings!" 50 exaggerated. " 'The Money and the Power'!"

"Yeah, I see what you're doing," said Diddy, still going at the G-Unit general. "Get off my channel! ... Nah," he laughed. "I love the show, man. I think it's important [that] if you see your friends getting into an area, they do it the right way. My man did his show the right way. If you haven't seen it, make sure you check it out."

Donald Trump is one of the viewers. The mogul, who called 50 a friend in a recent interview with TV station New York 1, said 50's show is trying to "copy" his "The Apprentice," and that "it'll fail because it's not Trump."

"I said, 'What's the matter with Donald?' " 50 responded, elaborating on comments he made earlier in the night. "He's got a little age on him. He must be getting senile."

However, 50 did confirm that Trump is his friend.

Related Videos Related Photos Related Artists

Hilarie Burton Says She Owes Career, From 'TRL' To 'One Tree Hill,' To 'Fairy Godfather' Carson Daly

Posted: 17 Nov 2008 01:17 AM PST

Former VJ says memorable guests include U2, Angelina Jolie.
By Jocelyn Vena, with reporting by Tim Kash


Hilarie Burton at at Sunday's "Total Finale Live" in New York
Photo: MTV News

NEW YORK — Back in 2000, a Virginia girl named Hilarie Burton made her TV debut on "TRL," and everything changed for her.

"I got out of high school and showed up in New York, and next thing I know, I'm working here, dropping out of college," the "One Tree Hill" star told Tim Kash backstage at Sunday night's "Total Finale Live."

Shortly after winning a competition to star in a segment of "TRL," Burton was asked to stay on as a full-time VJ. "They've ruined my childhood and stolen my youth, and now we get to celebrate this tonight," she joked.

She added that without then-host Carson Daly there to show her the ropes, she wouldn't be where she is today. "I haven't seen him in forever," she said. "I live down in North Carolina, where I shoot my show. I'm excited to see Carson. He was like my fairy godfather. He bestowed this career on me."

Burton thinks that "TRL," which she called "kind television," filled a void on TV, and she isn't sure what will happen now that it's off the air. "We were never out to make anybody look stupid — we were out to make sure kids had a good time on television with their friends and their signs," she said. "Now there's a lot of shock value out there and not a lot of kindness."

Burton left "TRL" in 2003 to pursue a career in acting, joining the cast of "One Tree Hill" as Peyton Sawyer. But working on "TRL" gave her the opportunity to become the hip young woman she is today. "We did a lot here on 'TRL,' " she said. "Like when U2 played upstairs on the balcony, I was a geeky kid."

The former VJ recalled geeking out when she met Angelina Jolie during the star's appearance on the show. "I had a big crush on her, and Carson threw me to the wolves when she came," she said. "She's kind of a babe."

Above all, one serious event showed Burton the power that "TRL" had to bring kids together. "Coming back after September 11 was a very big deal," she said. "I think it was very important — music is such a healer. It helped people through a traumatic time. Just coming to work was a frightening thing, but I was proud to be a part of it."

For everything on "Total Finale Live," including bonus performances, behind-the-scenes action and more, head to TRL.MTV.com. Plus, check out our stage-door interviews with 50 Cent, Taylor Swift, Ludacris and many more superstars at the big show.

Related Videos Related Artists

1 komentar:

geausleyt mengatakan...

these details site here reference special info you could check here you can check here